Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Switch Continues...

In 2004, I switched my department at Crossroads Church over to Mac. I must say that professionally, it was one of the best moves I ever made.
When the department was remodeled in 1999 (before I started working there), they had installed a 512 MHz IBM PC running Avid Express 3.0. Well, when it came time to upgrade, it was going to cost over $10K to update the system adequately. I've never been a fan of Avid's (and ProTools') uber-proprietary way of doing things, and this was my perfect chance to get away from that platform.

I worked a deal with one of our local TV stations, KADN-Fox 15, for two years of airtime for our broadcast in exchange for our old Avid. This transaction was worth about $13K, which allowed me to purchase two Dual 2 GHz Mac G5s, both running Final Cut Pro, and one of them running Logic.

Well, here we are, for years later, and my department owns two Quad 3 GHz Mac Pros, a Dual 2.7 G5, the two original Dual 2 GHz G5s, two Mac Minis, an iMac, and a Dual 2.6 GHz MacBook Pro (a little something for me!). In addition to all this, our youth department is all Mac, and so is Facilities Management.

Now, the lead and executive pastors are going Mac. They both have VAIOs (which are both dead), and they're ready to make the switch. Our executive pastor wants a MacBook, and the lead pastor wants a MacBook Pro. Life at Crossroads is about to get a whole lot cooler!

3 comments:

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

My boss, our church music director, just got a Macbook Pro, and like two monitors and Protools. It must be Mac season at churches right now! And if jealousy weren't frowned upon, especially as a church staff person, i would be jealous of you both:)

Anonymous said...

Dude, now you're just messing with my head. You were right when you commented on my blog that all I was missing with my dual monitors was a MAC to run on them. I laughed out loud... and then I sighed.

Fortunately my pc hasn't hindered my creativity yet. Besides, if I had a MAC then what would I dream about at night? Probably a Quizno's Chicken Carbonara with bacon -- I love those!

Later!

Richard Gaspard said...

OK, Scott that comment was worth me having a blog in the first place. Funny!

I've never had the Chicken Carbonara with bacon. It's now on my list of thing to try.