Friday, November 13, 2009

The Dirty Black Shirt, Part 2

OK, so I've established that I don't want my life to be a dirty black shirt, showing all of my shortcomings and sin for all to see.

But, I DO want my life to be a dirty black shirt.

Huh?

One of the things Jesus was criticized for was the fact that he hung around with tax collectors and sinners. One of the things present-day Christians are criticized for is "being too close to the world."

How do you:

Stay close to God while befriending the world?
Live in and not of the world?
Love the sinner, hate the sin?

I want my heart to be clean, but I also want to be involved in other people's dirt, so that God can use me to help them get rid of their own dirty shirts.

God, let me stay so close to you so that my shirts don't get dirty, but also let me stay so connected with humanity that I'm not afraid to get soiled now and then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally agree, Rich. The Christian experience always walks a razor's edge--in the world/not of it, hate the sin, love the sinner, etc. It stretches us to the breaking point over and over.

Preach it, brothuh!

Chana

Jeff Ables said...

Good thoughts! I'm so glad you're blogging again. Welcome back to the blogosphere: Dirty black shirt and all!

Daniel said...

Good point. Thanks for the thought-provoking post.