Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Vision

We hear a lot of talk about vision.  We're told that "without vision, the people perish."  Some would say that you'll never prosper financially unless you can envision yourself in that lifestyle.

But what about vision for the church media guy?

My vision, which I'll admit is sometimes (often) limited, has less to do with our weekend services than does the vision of (wait for it, this is going to be revolutionary to the ENTIRE church media community) my pastor.  So often, we creative folks thrust our vision (and our agenda) onto the pastor, but I believe we do our jobs best when we let his vision be thrust upon us, then do what we can to accommodate that vision.

I recently read a new Christian arts-type magazine.  They're just on the market.  It was one of the cooler things I've seen in a while. There were articles on creativity, relevance, pop culture, relevance, music, relevance...well, you get the picture.  What I didn't find therein was anything relating to finding out what your pastors wants and executing THAT.  Although everything in the magazine was cool, and correct, I just found that last little bit of information lacking.

You want to have a successful church media ministry?  You want to have people touched by what you do? You want to keep your job? Learn the vision of your pastor.  A somewhat well-done video piece that falls in line with where the pastor is going will do far more than the most slickly-produced video filled with eye (and ear - can't forget the audio guys!) candy that doesn't take the audience from where the pastor is to where he is going.

Fortunately, I serve a pastor with great vision, and he gives me 99.762% creative control over what we produce (the other .238% drives me nuts, and he knows it). You may not find yourself in that position.  But trust me, learning his vision, and catering to it, will go much farther towards bringing the changes you'd like to see than imposing your views on him.  But guess what, if those changes never come, you still have to serve his vision.

On another note, we shot a video piece with my 7-year-old daughter yesterday.  It's a sermon intro for our Thanksgiving series.  When it's done, I'll post it.

4 comments:

Troy Picou said...

Rich welcome to the blogworld. I'll be checking in.
Troy Picou
www.troypicou.blogspot.com

Donnie Schexnayder said...

You hit this one right on the nose, buddy...the whole point of working at a church is to serve.

It's easy for our ideas, our personal agenda, or our ego to creep in and distort why we're serving with our skills in the first place...but you are absolutely right about the fact that we are there to fulfill the vision of the senior pastor.

I think that attitude needs to be ingrained in everyone who works at the church. Can you imagine what we could accomplish for the kingdom if everyone pulled on the same rope, at the same time, in the same direction?

Peace,

Donnie

Anonymous said...

Good stuff!

I just got back from having lunch with my pastor and he shared his vision with me for where we are going over the next 4-5 months. I am working hard to get into sync with him and enhance his message with multi-media, as opposed to going my own way with what I want.

Anonymous said...

Well, it is all about doing your job for your boss, whether he is a God-fearing pastor, or a garden-variety headen who lives with his girl-friend and gets drunk on the weekends.
But whatsoever we do, we need to remind ourselves, as hard as that might be, that we ultimately work for God.