Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Gustav's Aftermath? Not Too Bad...

...for us, anyway.

This is my pond when it was new, which was a little less than a year ago...

This is what I came home to yesterday.  The murkiness comes compliments of the sand bags we put by our French doors...

So, I drained my pond.  While doing that, our dog Roxy thought it would be a good idea to play in the murky water coming from what she must have perceived to be a magical fountain flowing from the other side of the big temple wall...

Once I got the pond drained enough to see my fish, I caught them and placed then in their new makeshift homes:  two 16-gallon containers, and a 10-gallon ice chest.  Here's Fool's Gold and Silver...
Goldilocks and Speckle...
Lil' Miss (who we think may expecting), Lil' Koi Watson, and Spot...
Explanation:  our worship leader's name is Coy Watson, and that's where we got the name for our high-dollar fish. This is what my pond looked like once it was drained...

Yuck. The junk on the bottom is marble chips in a lovely combination of marble and sand sediment with a healthy dose of leaves and fish poop. Here is it after I cleaned and pressure-washed the area...

I didn't pressure-wash the bottom, because my pond actually has a leak, and I'll finish the job when the leak is fixed.

All in all, not too bad. I'll ache tomorrow, but other than some sticks in our yard, and water in our kitchen under soaked bedroom carpet upstairs (because of an open storm window - duh...), that's it! We didn't even lose power.

Thanks to all for your prayers!


1 comment:

Mark Keefer said...

Glad you guys made it through okay.