Monday, January 5, 2009

New Set at Crossroads

This past week, we put up a new set at Crossroads. New backdrop, new band setup, and new lighting setup. Pics will follow, but just in case you're wondering what our lighting gear is, here's a pretty comprehensive list:

Leprecon LP-X48 console
8 2K Fresnels (6 front, 2 rear)
10 PAR 64s (all front)
8 500W Fresnels (all rear)
Elation PowerSpot 575s (4 in front movable truss, 1 spare)
8 Elation PowerSpot 250s (4 on stage floor, 4 in various stages of malrepair)
DMX splitter
Elation UNI-BAR DMX switch/dimmer

OK, so that's how we achieve the "magic." Here are some pics taken yesterday morning. If they don't look great, blame the iPhone, not the lighting designer (me) or the photographer (me again).

We use a different light scheme/moving background video for each song. I try my best to make the two match, both in color and style. Here's the first worship song:
Second worship song:
Third worship song:
Fourth worship song:
 Special music (offertory, which we tape for the local TV broadcast as well as the website):
Finally, the sermon. We're in a series entitled "Inaugural Address," so I wanted to do a patriotic thing with the background.
I'll try to post the sermon intro for "Inaugural Address" sometime this week. Anyway, hope you like our new lighting. I got lots of great comments on it. A little inside story...I programmed all of these scenes Friday, while I was sick. I thought everything was great until I got a text from a friend, Preston Blair, who was sitting in the balcony during the 10:45 service. He told me that the red intels shining back into the crowd were blinding him and others in his section.

Sorry, Preston, a couple of burned retinas is a small price to pay.

(Actually, I moved the light immediately after that service).

2 comments:

Quebedeaux said...

NICE!! Our last church did the moving lights thingie...

Anonymous said...

I like the whole rock star thing! How did you do the obelisks and what are you doing with the lighting during the sermon?