Thursday, February 7, 2008

"Christian" Celebrity Apprentice

OK, this is a blog dedicated (mostly) to relevant church media, and what's more relevant to the culture than network TV, right? Furthermore, what's hotter than Celebrity Apprentice, right!? Right? Am I right?!?

Well, Stephen Baldwin (the Christian) is in on a gag/spy deal last week, then denies it (when my DVR clearly showed otherwise quite distinctly), then tries to quit, then gets put on the other team, only to announce that he won't be able to work on the next challenge because he has to speak at a church...

Thanks, Stephen. Not only do you come across as a little cheesy (if not downright suspect, or even a little creepy), but after your new teammates put together a great (albeit losing - BTW, Trace Adkins is a genius) campaign, you waltz in and throw your advice around (as if your teammates were hanging on every word).

Maybe this represents (in part) American Christianity. Many people see us as hypocritical, shady characters who's only goal in life is to live our own way, doing what we please, then come in, high on our trusty steeds, and force our views on others (whether or not it was warranted or requested).

For me, being relevant to the culture also means that you become someone who people of that culture can identify with and respect. In the aforementioned "culture" of Celebrity Apprentice, however, I think Mr. Baldwin is neither.

3 comments:

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

Hi! i found your blog from your wife's blog....anyway, it's so funny that you mentioned Stephen Baldwin, because a few years ago, he spoke at a church i used to attend! i wasn't able to go, but my now-husband did and said he wasn't horrible. Anyway, God's peace!

Richard Gaspard said...

I'm not implying that Mr. Baldwin is "horrible," just irrelevant to the culture of Celebrity Apprentice. My thesis is that if you're going to be relevant, you must be trustworthy, and seen as not "sneaky" or "cheesy," both of which he has come across as (which may be just the editing, but I don't think so).

Please re-read my post with that in mind, and with the understanding that my blog is mostly about relevant church media, and how we appear in the culture, and I think you'll better understand the point I was trying to make.

Thanks for the comment!

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

Oh i did not mean that i thought he was horrible or that you thought that. i was just saying that my husband thought he was a decent speaker. Nothing else meant by that. My comment should have been "i wasn't able to go, but my husband did and said he was a pretty good speaker. i wish i could have gone."
Sometimes i hate typing, because i tend to type the way i talk, which of course is very easily misunderstood in text form:)