Monday, February 18, 2008

We've Lost a Great One...

The world has said "goodbye" to Jackie Street, or perhaps it was the other way around. This man was one of the greatest players ever. And I hear he was a wonderful guy.

The closest I ever got to him was four years ago, when I was in Nashville mixing Coy Watson's Album "Love Has Spoken." (which I co-produced with Coy). We were there with the engineer, JB, when he got a phone call. There was a lot of laughter, chitchat about nothing really, and a final "love you, too" from JB. He hung up the phone, and said "That's one of the best guys on the planet," or something like that. He then said, "You may know of this guy:  Jackie Street."

Duh! I've patterned 85% of my playing after that guy!

I used to play in the Oneighty band in Tulsa. We covered a CCM tune every week. I would listen to the songs on the way to rehearsal, and scratch out a crude number chart. When I'd get to rehearsal, I'd just find out what key the song was in, and I was set.

That is, until we played Jars of Clay's "Little Drummer Boy." I just happened to listen to the song on a Monday afternoon. I immediately recognized the playing:  it was Jackie, on fretless, no less. At the end of the song was this really awesome solo, and I knew I had to get busy! I worked through my dinner break, then stayed late to work on it some more. I pulled it of, and I can still play that solo today (although not nearly as slick as he did it!).

Jackie, although we've never met, I'll miss you a lot. Hold down the bottom end up there until I get there to fill in for you every now and then!

2 comments:

Mark Keefer said...

I'm sorry to hear that he passed away. He was a monster.

Those days of Oneighty, and doing the cover songs still comes back to me from time to time. We played some really great tunes, and I think we pulled most of them off really well.

"The Little Drummer Boy" tune was one of the strongest, and you nailed his solo.

Glad his playing is still living on in other great bass players like you Rich.

Nice tribute.

Mark Keefer said...

BTW - the picture of him...

... did he chew the gum at Willy Wonka's that turned the girl into a blueberry?